The very first business I started years ago was while I was working for a company called Knowledge Unlimited that I eventually bought from the owner. This was back in the early ’90’s when the laptop computer was just becoming popular and everybody who was anybody was jumping on board, starting with the executives.
We were convinced that we should start selling Toshiba Laptop computers.
We took two weeks coming up with a name… Portable Systems.
We took three weeks designing the business cards.
We never sold a thing!
I told this story to Dave Elkington when we started InsideSales.com and we committed to not even print business cards until we sold our first million dollars, and we didn’t.
I just had lunch with two executives that I told this story to and one of them, Don Coplin, told me a story about a man in Las Vegas who had learned CPR and was in a diner when another man went into cardiac arrest.
He immediately went through all the things he had learned: put up the mans feet, situate his head properly, loosen his tie, undo his collar button…
When a man pushed him aside with a forearm and started pounding on the poor man’s chest and said, “Don’t let him die while you get started!”
A big lessen there.
Go sell something! Don’t just talk about it, don’t just think about… do it.
Top 30 Articles on www.KenKrogue.com (with total views) and a Summary of Ken’s Forbes Articles
- What is Inside Sales? Our Definition of Inside Sales | Ken Krogue – 90,920 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices – 42,361 Views
- 31 Linkedin tips – How-to-use-Linkedin-Best-Practices for B2B Prospecting – 19,284 Views
- Inside Sales Tips by Ken Krogue – 14,997 Views
- Good to Great by Jim Collins – Ken’s Notes Summary – 9,758 Views
- My Final Comment on my “Death of SEO” column on Forbes – 6,411 Views
- About Ken Krogue – 7,439 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – How LinkedIn Gives you 3 Free SEO Backlinks - 7,080 Views
- Inside Sales is Top Method of Lead Generation – 6,439 Views
- Prediction – SEO will be Dead in 2 Years – 5,740 Views
- Inside Sales Training – 5,237 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices: 7 Ways to Increase Contact Ratios – 5,202 Views
- Ken’s Forbes Articles – 4,960 Views
- Is Leaving a Voicemail Worthwhile? – 3,862 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices: Gathering Direct Dial Phone Numbers – 3,624 Views
- KPI – Key Performance Indicators – 3,713 Views
- Inside Sales versus Outside Sales – 3.505 Views
- Harvard Business Review says Sales is No Longer About Relationships – 3,048 Views
- Behind the Cloud – Ken’s Notes – 2,745 Views
- Climb the Trust Ladder to Increase Results in Prospecting – W/ VIDEO! – 2,744 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Skip to the Beep – 2,678 Views
- Lead Generation Strategies: When to Call, When Not to Call? – 2,232 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – No Vacations Last Week of the Month – 2,000 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Specialize – 1,842 Views
- Ken Krogue’s Forbes Top 25 Most Popular Articles – 1,788 Views
- Ken Krogue – About Chauncey Riddle (My Mentor) – 1,396 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Interest is The Counterfeit of Need – 1,375 Views
- 6 Reasons Salesforce Users Need Hosted Dialer Technology - 1,276 Views
- What is Lead Response Management – 1,204 Views
- Ken’s Rules: The Business Card Rule – 1,252 Views