I still receive requests to share again the 17 most effective lead generation methods that I gave in November of 2008 at a breakfast seminar at Novell from research first published in the 2008 Lead Generation issue BtoBOnline Magazine.
I will share the 17 methods ranked first by effectiveness, then by popularity, then by the points of variance up or down.
Popular isn’t necessarily good, it just means everyone else is doing it (email for example is ranked 1st as most popular, but ranked 7th in actual effectiveness.) Take especial note of the degree of variance and whether it is positive or negative. High positive variance shows extreme effectiveness that is relatively unused or unknown by your competition.
I believe that the best methods are those that are most Effective, but least Popular. So look for a low number on Effective, and a high number on Variance:
|Lead Generation Method||Effective||Popular||Variance|
|Online video / podcasts/ rich media||10||12||2|
|Other Web 2.0||15||14||-1|
At my company, InsideSales.com, we combine the first five (Executive Seminars, Inside Sales, Search Marketing, Webinars, and Trade Shows) to bring us the best results.
My personal background with founding the original inside sales division at Franklin Quest as the largest time management seminar company in the world (my team used to fill up 200+ seminars every month) gives me a pre-disposition towards seminars, so I love Executive Seminars and of course, Inside Sales is the best way to put “butts in seats.”
Having the name InsideSales.com has ensured we appear at the top of the search engines for the industry we are named after, so search marketing has been a never-ending source of leads for us. And every single sales demonstration we give is a custom webinar to prospective clients and we are busy trying to expand this offering to larger groups in live and on-demand venues.
One of my personal favorites is trade shows. I will write my next post about some of the fun strategies we use for this.
Especially interesting is the effectiveness of TV advertising and Radio, though these two are difficult to target to specific B2B niches, I have found.
Notably absent (this study was early last year) are the social medias like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. The jury is still out for me on these three, I’m seeing the buzz, still questioning actual research that demonstrates any sales being made for all the time that is spent.
If you are finding results out there in these areas, please let me know.
I hope this is helpful.
Top 30 Articles on www.KenKrogue.com (with total views) and a Summary of Ken’s Forbes Articles
- What is Inside Sales? Our Definition of Inside Sales | Ken Krogue – 56,369 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices – 9,281 Views
- Inside Sales Tips by Ken Krogue – 5,488 Views
- My Final Comment on my “Death of SEO” column on Forbes – 6,411 Views
- 31 Linkedin tips – How-to-use-Linkedin-Best-Practices for B2B Prospecting – 5,680 Views
- Prediction – SEO will be Dead in 2 Years – 3,976 Views
- KPI – Key Performance Indicators – 2,285 Views
- Inside Sales versus Outside Sales – 2,226 Views
- Is Leaving a Voicemail Worthwhile? – 2,100 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – How LinkedIn Gives you 3 Free SEO Backlinks - 3,057 Views
About Ken Krogue – 1,943 Views
- Inside Sales is Top Method of Lead Generation – 1,074 Views
- Inside Sales Training – 1,888 Views
- Good to Great by Jim Collins – Ken’s Notes Summary – 1,526
- Inside Sales Tips – Skip to the Beep – 1,392 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices: 7 Ways to Increase Contact Ratios – 1,360
- Climb the Trust Ladder to Increase Results in Prospecting – W/ VIDEO! – 1,339 Views
- Harvard Business Review says Sales is No Longer About Relationships – 1,148 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – No Vacations Last Week of the Month – 1,140 Views
- Lead Generation Strategies: When to Call, When Not to Call? – 1,049 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Specialize – 998 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Interest is The Counterfeit of Need – 898 Views
- Behind the Cloud – Ken’s Notes – 877 Views
- 6 Reasons Salesforce Users Need Hosted Dialer Technology - 856 Views
- Demand Generation Tactics and Strategy – 689 Views
- Power Dialers – 665 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices: Gathering Direct Dial Phone Numbers – 601
- What is Lead Response Management – 573 Views
- Ken’s Rules: The Business Card Rule – 430 Views
- Josh James Shares 36 Startup Rules – 399 Views
A Complete Summary of Ken Krogue’s Forbes Articles, Including his newly updated “Definition of Inside Sales” and his #1 on all of Forbes (and most controversial) article “The Death of SEO”