Inside Sales Tips: Specialize
The Kellogg Survey that was done by Dr. James Oldroyd in 2007 showed a statistically higher close rate for companies that break apart their sales model into specialties.
Internally at Inside Sales.com we have several specialties in our sales and lead generation departments:
- Lead Research
- Website Auditor
- Lead Response (Fronter)
- Lead Qualification (Appointment Setter)
- Small Account Closers (Account Executive)
- Large Account Closers (Senior Account Executive)
A company that leaves their inside sales reps to find and close their own leads follow what Dr. Oldroyd called a Generalist Model. Even in the early survey by Kellogg there was a close rate that was 7% higher for companies with a specialist model over a generalist model.
As we have perfected our own internal processes we have found the difference to be much higher.
You don’t need to start as complex we have done.
We recommend that you start by separating the Appointment Setters from Closers; just two positions. In fact, we have roles, not just positions. Some positions carry several roles.
Appointment Setters focus on quantity of calls and appointments set. Each of our Appointment Setters averages 350 calls a day and sets 4-5 appointments each day.
Our Closers focus on quality of calls and specifically on accounts closed. We just had a record month with 40 accounts closed and the highest new revenue growth by 26.4%. One Closer closed 15 accounts in February; also a new record. We were excited to add 7 new Salesforce accounts in one month.
This is done by Specialists.
Top 30 Articles on www.KenKrogue.com (with total views) and a Summary of Ken’s Forbes Articles
- What is Inside Sales? Our Definition of Inside Sales | Ken Krogue – 56,369 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices - 9,281 Views
- Inside Sales Tips by Ken Krogue - 5,488 Views
- My Final Comment on my “Death of SEO” column on Forbes - 6,411 Views
- 31 Linkedin tips – How-to-use-Linkedin-Best-Practices for B2B Prospecting - 5,680 Views
- Prediction – SEO will be Dead in 2 Years - 3,976 Views
- KPI – Key Performance Indicators – 2,285 Views
- Inside Sales versus Outside Sales – 2,226 Views
- Is Leaving a Voicemail Worthwhile? – 2,100 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – How LinkedIn Gives you 3 Free SEO Backlinks - 3,057 Views
About Ken Krogue - 1,943 Views
- Inside Sales is Top Method of Lead Generation – 1,074 Views
- Inside Sales Training - 1,888 Views
- Good to Great by Jim Collins - Ken’s Notes Summary – 1,526
- Inside Sales Tips – Skip to the Beep – 1,392 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices: 7 Ways to Increase Contact Ratios - 1,360
- Climb the Trust Ladder to Increase Results in Prospecting - W/ VIDEO! – 1,339 Views
- Harvard Business Review says Sales is No Longer About Relationships - 1,148 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – No Vacations Last Week of the Month – 1,140 Views
- Lead Generation Strategies: When to Call, When Not to Call? - 1,049 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Specialize – 998 Views
- Inside Sales Tips – Interest is The Counterfeit of Need – 898 Views
- Behind the Cloud – Ken’s Notes – 877 Views
- 6 Reasons Salesforce Users Need Hosted Dialer Technology - 856 Views
- Demand Generation Tactics and Strategy – 689 Views
- Power Dialers - 665 Views
- Inside Sales Best Practices: Gathering Direct Dial Phone Numbers - 601
- What is Lead Response Management – 573 Views
- Ken’s Rules: The Business Card Rule - 430 Views
- Josh James Shares 36 Startup Rules - 399 Views
A Complete Summary of Ken Krogue’s Forbes Articles, Including his newly updated “Definition of Inside Sales” and his #1 on all of Forbes (and his most controversial) article “The Death of SEO”